Tuesday, February 12, 2013

THE CIRCLE OF LIFE - STEVIE WONDER'S 'SUPERSTITION'

I was in junior high school when I discovered Stevie Wonder through the song 'Superstition'.  I can still remember hearing the song on Armed Forces Network radio and being mesmerized by the whole package - Wonder's amazing voice; the dynamic horn charts; the jumpy clavinet synthesizers; the mesmerizing lyrics ... the whole thing was simply amazing.  I tracked down the parent LP (Talking Book"); plunked down my $4.00 to buy a copy at my local base exchange (literally a month of allowance), and still have my copy some 40 years later.

It seems hard to believe someone out there hasn't heard the song, but just in case ...   YouTube link to a 1974 live performance of the song:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me4dTKAaEu0

And here's where it gets funny.  My nine year old was talking about a song he heard on television.  He didn't know the name of the song, but he heard it during the superbowl, during one of the beer commercials and it had something to do with fans crossing their fingers and turning their beer bottles a certain way during the game ...  As it turns out Bud Light bought rights to used 'Superstition' in some of their commercials.  Needless to say, I steered my child away from the beer commercial and to the real thing ...  I even pulled out that forty year old copy of "Talking Book".  It sounds as good today as it did back then.



No comments:

Post a Comment