Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My infatuation with Bern Hill


Commercial art is an area that's fascinated me for years. It's also an area that's been largely overlooked by art collectors, even though some of the work is every bit as impressive as material produced by conventional artists. I'm guessing that the thought of commercial art just doesn't strike many folks as being enjoyable - do you really want a picture of that Locomotive on your walls?  And that brings me to the late Bern Hill.  Like most folks, my introduction to Hill came through a July 2007 episode of Antiques Road Show. You can see the four minute segment via the attached link: 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200704A52.html 


I was simply dumbfounded by Hill's work, quickly going on line and grabbing a couple of his posters. Within a matter of days, on-line prices for his railway posters literally exploded. A poster I paid $300 for was suddenly up in the $800 range. Damn that Antiques Roadshow ! 

Anyhow, I set up a small Bern Hill website with some additional information on the artist,  images of some of his work, and recent sales prices at:



If you have additional insights you'd like to share, I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment